Mar 28, 2016

SAVORY OATS

If you're anything like me, steel cut oats is in regular rotation on your breakfast menu. Packed with iron, fiber and protein, they're the breakfast of champions, and they've got rib-sticking power to get you through those on-the-go mornings.

My only problem with steel cut oats is that, well.... there is no problem. It's not them, it's me, really. I'm a creature of habit, and even though I can make some killer oats, I typically go standard style with a dab of butter, a bit of maple syrup and some nuts. Sometimes I add fruit (banana or blueberries are my favs), and a few years ago I thought it was a stroke of pure genius when I thought to add breakfast sausage and a poached egg to the mix. That last gem is my favorite, but even that version is a bit played out these days.

Savory oats is the perfect remedy for breakfast monotony. If you think of oat as the grain it is, instead of pigeon-holing it as a breakfast item, it's easier to come up with fun (non-sweet) alternative ways to enjoy it. Vegetables needn't be shunned, and all of the sudden condiments such as sriracha or kimchi are also welcome to join the party. (Here are two examples of alternate savory oats recipes.)

Here's just one of my favorite ways to make savory oats, but the possibilities are really endless.

SAVORY OATS
Serves 2-3

1 cup organic steel cut oats. One of my favorite local British Columbia brands, is Anita's.
3 tablespoons crème frâiche
2 tablespoons goat cheese
1/2 cup organic sprouted almonds, loosely chopped
Zest of 1 lemon, plus the juice of one half lemon
1/2 cup fresh English peas, shelled
Sunflower sprouts, as desired
Sea salt and pepper to taste

Soak oats overnight, covered in water to expedite cook time. Bring salted water to boil, cooking and stirring oats until desired consistency is reached.

While oats are cooking, zest and juice lemon. Shell and pan-sear peas, using a bit of olive oil or a dab of butter. Cook peas until their skins start to blister. Set aside.

Once oats are finishing cooking, turn stove off. Add one teaspoon sea salt and the lemon juice to oats and fold crème frâiche and peas directly into the warm pot. Add chunks of goat cheese, folding in, leaving a bit unincorporated. Spoon oats into serving bowls, topping with lemon zest, almonds, sprouts, and fresh cracked black pepper. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment